- 1 Basics
- 2 History
- 3 Audits & Exploits
- 4 Governance
- 5 Token
- 6 Tech
- 7 Oracle Method
- 8 Privacy Method
- 9 Compliance
- 10 Other Projects
- 11 Upgrades
- 12 Roadmap
- 13 Usage
- 14 Competition
- 15 Coin Distribution
- 16 Pros and Cons
- 17 Team, Funding, Partnerships, etc.
- 18 (:
- Founded in:
- Mainnet release:
- Based in: NYC
- Prediction Market
- Polymarket, an information markets platform
Audits & Exploits
"Polymarket is for informational purposes only. We take no custody of anyone's money or cryptocurrency, nor do we host any markets ourselves. Polymarket displays existing markets live on the Ethereum blockchain and is a graphical user interface for interfacing with said smart contracts via Web 3 enabled wallets."
Self Funding Mechanism
- Whitepaper can be found [insert here]. Seems like they won't have any due to taking the tech from Gnosis.
- Code can be viewed [insert here].
- Built on: Ethereum and the Conditional Tokens Framework by Gnosis with an AMM. According to a conversation with a team member in their Telegram chat (9-8-2020), their tech is completely taken from Gnosis, nothing else added.
How it works
- From their website (9-7-2020):
"Polymarket hosts information markets that harness the wisdom of the crowd to accurately forecast the future, empowering speculators to profit from their knowledge and spectators to make better decisions. Free markets are the most effective information aggregators, and Polymarket applies that to the real world. There are 3 roles in Polymarket:
Speculators trade shares that represent different outcomes to real world events. If the outcome happens, the share resolves to $1, if it doesn’t, it resolves to $0. The price of a share represents the likelihood that the event occurs. Do you feel confident in a future event? Put your money where your mouth is and get paid for being right!
Spectators easily derive actionable insight from market activity that empowers them to more accurately assess the future events that affect them the most, and make better decisions accordingly. Follow relevant markets, track up to date odds for free, and avoid falling victim to fake news.
Liquidity Providers (Beta)
Provide liquidity by committing USDC to a given market’s liquidity pool and earn fees every time someone trades. By providing liquidity you are helping the market produce more accurate information and can withdraw your liquidity at any time. This is in beta and should be used only by those familiar with how Automated Market Makers work."
- "All the markets are resolved according to their specified resolution source, at the final discretion of a market integrity committee."
- Polymarket said to be under investigation by CFTC. The report of the probe comes as the company is said to be in talks to raise money at a nearly $1 billion valuation (23-10-2021).
- From Bitcoin.com (4-1-2022):
"The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) has ordered a “decentralized” prediction market platform to shut down non-compliant markets and pay a fine of $1.4 million. “Polymarket had been operating an illegal unregistered or non-designated facility for event-based binary options online trading contracts, known as ‘event markets,'” said the derivatives regulator."
- Can be found [Insert link here].
Projects that use or built on it
Pros and Cons
Team, Funding, Partnerships, etc.
- Full team can be found [here].
- Shayne Coplan; founder
- Raised $4M from Polychain, Naval Ravikant, Balaji Srnivasan, Meltem Demirors, Robert Leshner of Compound, Aave’s Stani Kulechov, Synthetix’s Kain Warwick, major crypto VCs ParaFi and 1confirmation, Tarun Chitra, Kal Vepuri, Josh Hannah, Marc Bhargava, Samir Vasavada, and Calvin Liu. (19-10-2020).
Knowledge empowers us all and will help us get closer to the decentralised world we all want to live in!
Making these free wiki pages is fun but takes a lot of effort and time.
If you have enjoyed reading, tips are appreciated :) This will help us to keep expanding this archive of information.
ETH tip address: 0x83460bE5F218b1520B69D702cE60A1DE37dD8E31