After great community collaboration DYOR has rebranded into CryptoWiki.me 🥳 a moment to celebrate!
From now on all new information will be added within the CryptoWiki.mecommunity website! No longer over here. So be sure to move over to stay on top of new research developments!
Same content - better & cleaner experience 🤝
DYOR started out in 2015 on Fandom and has now grown to ~3500 pages on CryptoWiki.me 🤩
All the information that you can find in these pages is public knowledge with sources provided. The community is encouraged to add truthful and unbiased entries to further this body of work.
Follow @cryptowiki_me on Twitter to be up to date on pages being created or edited.
- Based in: originally NYC now Wyoming (9-12-2020).
- Founded in 2011, Kraken was the largest Bitcoin exchange in euro volume and liquidity and is a partner in the first cryptocurrency bank. Kraken lets you buy and sell bitcoins and trade between bitcoins and euros, US Dollars, Canadian Dollars, British Pounds and Japanese Yen. It’s also possible to trade digital currencies other than Bitcoin like Ethereum, Monero, Ethereum Classic, Augur REP tokens, ICONOMI, Zcash, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Ripple and Stellar/Lumens. For more experienced users, Kraken offers margin trading and a host of other trading features. Kraken is a great choice for more experienced traders.
- Uses technology built by Parity
- Kraken decided to it will delist BSV after consulting their Twitter audience through a poll. The poll was overwhelmingly in favor of delisting the cryptocurrency, and Kraken decided to do so due to “fraudulent claims, escalating to threats and legal action, with the BSV team suing a number of people speaking out against them.”
- From the CoinDesk 50:
"Last year, Kraken brushed past a $4 billion valuation on its way to becoming one of the dominant global exchanges. With its warchest and army of lawyers, including SAFT co-author Marco Santori, the firm is now looking to expand through acquisitions. Emblematic of the coming wave of M&A and consolidation in crypto, Kraken has struck an early lead by striking deals and roping in high-profile talent including Dan Held’s Interchange and David Ripley's Glidera. "Kraken has been remarkably efficient in acquisitions in the past," Santori has said, and now sits poised to open a crypto bank in Wyoming and an office in Dubai."
"The State of Wyoming approved Kraken’s application to become the world’s first Special Purpose Depository Institution (SPDI). The new banking model allows Kraken to maintain custody and transact in both fiat and digital assets."
- Kraken is in talks with regulators in several European countries (25-8-2021).
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Good reputation, decent exchange rates, low transaction fees, minimal deposit fees, feature rich, great user support, secure, supported worldwide.
- Cons: Limited payment methods, not suitable for beginners, unintuitive user interface.
Team, Funding, partners, etc.
- Powell, Jesse; CEO
- Rapp, Timon
- Nick Gustafson; former staff, now head of trading at Circle
- Pete Rizzo; Editor-at-Large since 15-1-2020 "Will be responsible for driving content related to new products and services as we grow international reach, deepen our suite of innovative products and connect with new crypto users."
- Aya Miyaguchi; Previously Managing Director
- "Former Kraken employee Jonathan Silverman is suing Kraken for failure to pay after work he performed for the exchange's now closed New York institutional sales and trading desk in 2017; the suit alleges that commission payments for $19M in profits were never paid and that a lump sum settlement of over $900K was never paid either; Silverman is seeking the lump sum in court"
- Michael Gronager; former (9-12-2020) COO, now Chainalysis CEO.
- Silbert, Barry; through Digital Currency Group
- Ver, Roger; first investor
- Blockchain Capital, investor
- Is a sponsor of Coin Center
"Gemini today announced the launch of a $200,000 Bitcoin development fund. Called the Gemini Opportunity Fund, $150,000 of the money, in Bitcoin of course, will go straight to Brink, a London non-profit fellowship program to sponsor Bitcoin developers. The developers will work with John Newbery, Brink’s co-founder and executive director, and a Bitcoin Core contributor. Mike Schmidt, another Bitcoin core contributor. Square, the Human Rights Foundation and Kraken are among other donors. Kraken also donated $150,000. So far, the only fellow is Gloria Zhao, a Bitcoin Core contributor fresh from University of California, Berkeley, where she sat as president of its blockchain club."
"RIT Capital Partners, formerly known as the Rothschild Investment Trust, has acquired an interest in the Kraken cryptocurrency exchange, according to a note to investors dated April 12. Terms have not been disclosed."
- Compound, Kraken, Lido, Synthetix, The Graph, and Uniswap have donated $250,000 each to support Ethereum execution-layer client teams (8-2021).
- Staked got acquired by Kraken (21-12-2021).
- Founding member of the Crypto Rating Council (9-2019).
- Kraken's Chief Legal Officer Marco Santori sits on the board of the Blockchain Association (22-9-2020).
- From Businesswire (17-12-2021):
"Kraken Ventures, an independent investment fund led by Kraken alumni targeting early stage companies and protocols across the crypto and fintech ecosystem, has today announced the successful closing of its first fund, Kraken Ventures Fund I LP. In addition to Kraken as the anchor LP, the fund raised capital from a broad group of global institutional investors. It raied $65m."