After great community collaboration DYOR has rebranded into CryptoWiki.me 🥳 a moment to celebrate!
From now on all new information will be added within the CryptoWiki.mecommunity website! No longer over here. So be sure to move over to stay on top of new research developments!
Same content - better & cleaner experience 🤝
DYOR started out in 2015 on Fandom and has now grown to ~3500 pages on CryptoWiki.me 🤩
All the information that you can find in these pages is public knowledge with sources provided. The community is encouraged to add truthful and unbiased entries to further this body of work.
Follow @cryptowiki_me on Twitter to be up to date on pages being created or edited.
- Main Ethereum client
- By installing and running geth, you can take part in the ethereum frontier live network and; mine ether, transfer funds between addresses, create contracts and send transactions, explore block history
- A official reference implementation of Ethereum (CLI)
- Golang client of the go-ethereum
- Go is easy to build, code and read but loses some of the speed.
- The command line interface for running a full ethereum node implemented in Go. It is the main deliverable of the Frontier Release
- Other CLI’s are eth; C++ & Pyethapp
"The most famous was the “Shanghai DoS Attacks” of late 2016. This attack basically took Geth nodes offline which meant the network was relying on Parity Ethereum to handle the load. Obviously this is a perfect example of why having a multi-client network is hugely beneficial - if Ethereum was just relying on Geth then the entire network would have been taken down with this attack."
"There were two serious vulnerabilities found in the geth network, both of which were found by John Youngseok Yang (Software Platform Lab), earning him 20k points on the Ethereum Bounty Program leaderboard. In order to minimise disruption, the Ethereum developers decided to hard fork.
Services running older versions of geth nodes found themselves stuck on a minority chain, creating a knock-on effect for all apps that were reliant on them. Most users learnt of the issue when the Infura API went down."
- Samczun has written (27-5-2021) about bugs he found within go-ethereum (Geth). The first one was a bug in Geth’s uncle validation routine which did not behave correctly given a specially crafted uncle. If exploited, this could have caused an accidental fork between Geth and Parity nodes. And the second one was a bug in Geth’s state downloader which could be used to trick it into syncing with mainnet incorrectly. If exploited, an attacker could have booby trapped the Ethereum blockchain and triggered a hard fork at will.
- Geth has issued a hotfix to a high-severity security issue in its code (24-8-2021).
- Maintained by the Ethereum Foundation
- Péter; lead dev